Thursday, July 13, 2006

My "Vacation"

Well, here goes...

Monday: Leave for Bama around 10:30 PM

Tuesday: Arrive at Grandma's around 4:30 AM. Sleep til nine. Greet Grandma and Grandpa, blidly make way to shower. Feel better. Yap jaws off to Grandparents-in-law. Tag along to 4th of July cook-out at Aunt's. Spend rest of afternoon doing something new...talking to Alan's stepbrother, who is now sixteen. Realize we've never really talked. Enjoy it. Go back to previously mentioned aunt's for fireworks show. Go to sleep around 1:30 AM.

Wednesday: Wake up around 9. Pack car. Go to NW Bama to Muscle Shoals. Arrive in time for Momma to treat to a late lunch for an early birthday thing. Play with kids. Get reaquainted with Dale. Help Momma with dinner. See Dale's mom again. Fall in love with a very cute kitten. Realize Alan would shoot me, and leave kitten. Somehow allow Momma to get me drunk. Not quite sure how it happened. Never trust an ex-bartender to make a 'light' drink when she's totally into celebrating your birthday. Crawl into bed around 5 AM.

Thursday: Woke up at 8:30. Left for Grandfather's house areound 10. Stopped by Chad's grave. Very difficult. Made it seem real. I no longer have a mental picture of a mischievous 9 YO in my mind. They did have one of his senior protraits in his tombstone though. He grew up handsome. Still hit home that he's no longer with us though. Finally arrived at the house. Momma went to get a shoebox of Mema's jewelry she'd been given. She was going to let me go through it to see if there was anything I wanted. Shoebox mysteriously disappeared. Suspect that G-daddy took it. Which leads me to my theft confessions. On MY lamp that Mema wanted to keep (her best friend had made it for my 8th birthday and had died about ten years after that) I found two antique necklaces. I pocketed them. I wanted my photo album, the one that had all my dance pictures in it. Uncle Dwayne told me not to go through G-daddy's stuff to find it. When he went to his apartment, I gave Momma the amethyst necklace and kept the aquamarine one, since I had the matching earrings. And I found my photo album and secreted it into the trunk. All items I stole were out of sight by the time Uncle Dwayne came back down. I don't feel a bit guilty either. Got to Grandma's around 2 and crawled into bed aroound 2:30 AM.

Friday: Got up at 10. Took kids to MIL's around 2. Left for Birmingham. Finally ate dinner. As the only non-sympathetic puker there, had to take care of Jeremy when he overdid it. Crawled into bed at 5:30 AM.

Saturday: Got up at 11. We all went tubing...as in sitting in an innertube while it was being pulled behind a boat. Not fun at first, but became fun as I realized how it should be done. Stephanie and I were never flipped out of it. She had her own bad luck though. She lost her $700 glasses.
Arrived at Grandma's at 2:30.

Sunday: Woke up at 10:30. Collected children. Packed car. Came home. Arrived at 9:30 PM.

Been busy ever since. And I still don't feel guilty about taking those things.

2 comments:

  1. Your post made me laugh out loud and it made me melancholy as well. It made me laugh because you packed so much in, on so little sleep. And it made me laugh that you lifted the necklaces and photo album and don't feel guilty :-)

    It made me a bit melancholy because it reminded me what it was like to sit up all night drinking, talking and laughing. Just hanging out for days at a time. If I did it now I'd need a week to recover!!

    Glad to read that you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilly,

    I'm glad I could make you laugh. There was a lot packed in, and nowhere near enough sleep. I really don't feel guilty about taking those things. If Mema had her way, most of it would be mine, if not now, later. And really, who cares about the picture album full of MY dance class recitals pictures?

    And it was fun. It's been a LONG time since I drank with anyone but just Alan. Word of advice though, never match a 16 YO binge drinker shot-for-shot. Technically I won, but we agreed to a tie...after all, I got sick about 5 minutes after he did. But neither one of us had a hangover though! LOL And in Birmingham...I feel sorry for Stephanie. We all thought it was fun to throw poker chips at each other, and she wouldn't let me help her clean up. It's a week today that we've been back, and I still haven't recovered. Next time, I think I'll keep the drinking down to a minimum. I'm such a lightweight!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete