Monday, September 19, 2005

Eight years ago today

I was in a very bad car accident. I was told it was caused by a tire bursting. I guess I should be glad it was a hot night. I was told that I went out the driver's side window, flew about 25 feet, and slid on my back about 5 more. I hardly ever think about it anymore, but on this day every year, I am a virtual prisoner. I WILL NOT DRIVE anywhere. It's silly, I know, but I can't help it. Maybe it's because I had so many injuries.

My injuries (from head down):
Traumatic amnesia. Will probably never recover those memories. The ONLY thing I remember is vaguely taking the tags off a brand-new pair of jeans. I KNOW I went to school that day, I KNOW I performed at the football game that night. (I was on Dance Team and it was the reason I was driving in the first place.) I KNOW I took Lori home. But I have no memories of any of that. Strange, huh?
Sprained neck. Could have been worse I guess. Could have been broken.
Broken left shoulder blade. Very painful. Flat bones take a LONG time to heal. On average, about five years. So tell me, why does it still hurt sometimes?
Sprained right hand. Not good for catching up on missed schoolwork.
Scratches all over my back. Go figure. Wonder how I got those...
Bruised right thigh bone. More painful than a broken bone IMO. Bruised muscle so close to the bone that it's causes major pain.
Broken left talus. Very important bone in foot. Well, right above foot, right below anklt. This bone helps to distribute your weight throughout your entire foot. Not a good one to break. Hardly ever heals correctly.

On to happier things. This morning, after I bathed A.J. and he had gotten dressed, I was talking to myself about my shorts getting lose. A.J heard me and said it was 'Cause I was getting thin. And I was getting thin cause I ate too much healthy food.' His suggestion? Eat more junk food so I get fatter and fit in my clothes. His second suggestion? Go buy junk food so I can eat it. Oh yeah, I can't forget to share with him. Out of the mouths of babes, as they say. Speaking of no junk food in the house, Arielle is quite upset too. It seems my kids are having junk food withdrawal. I honestly don't mind junk food sometimes, but when it's all they want and they start growing side-to-side instead of up-and-down, IMO, it's time to give junk food a rest.


7 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:05 PM

    Amber,

    If I had been in a car accident where I had as many injuries as you did, I wouldn't drive today either. It sounds like you're lucky to be alive at all, let alone not have had a broken neck.
    How long did it take to recuperate from everything, not counting the shoulder blade?

    And good for you on telling the kids no junk food for a while. The people across the street from us have pizza delivered EVERY night. No wonder their nine year old daughter keeps getting wider, and wider, even though she rides her bike a lot. They'll thank you one day, in the far distant future.

    Lourese

    ReplyDelete
  2. It took me a month and a half in a wheelchair. That was porbably quite comical to see. I couldn't use one of me arms, so I pulled myself along with my right foot. Then another two months on crutches. Then even for the next two years or so, I still had days where I could barely walk on my left foot. I did see a doctor that wanted to do surgery on my foot. She wanted to fuse the bones together because most of the pain comes from not enough cartilage to keep the bones from rubbing together. I said no. No other doctor has given me hope of getting rid of the pain permanently, but I can deal with it, so...
    I guess you can just say that in all, I'm still working on it. I'm still trying to strengthen it back up. But over the summer, I could trot, and now I can jog for short distances.
    Also, if I remembered it, I probably wouldn't drive at all, so I see the traumatic amnesia as a blessing.

    And you got the far distant future right. They're not too happy with me right now. After a month or so with no junk food, they go back to thinking it's more of a treat instead of a given. And they slim back down too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. In that case, Linds, read above. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a long list of injuries. Can I ask? Were you wearing a seatbelt? I'd be a bit antsy about driving too.

    We're pretty much junk food free. There are no fast food outlets nearby, pizza is too expensive so we make our own. If the kids want a snack it's either fruit or a sandwich or two minute noodles. If they want a drink there's water or cordial or milk. I don't buy lollies, chocolate etc and we make our own cakes and biscuits.

    It's not that I'm a super greenie, all organic person. It's just cheaper to buy fruit and vegies than it is to buy junk food. There is an extra tax on pre-prepared foods (except milk, bread, meat, etc) so if I buy frozen lasagne I pay an extra tax, if I make lasagne with the kids from scratch I don't pay it :-)

    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilly, the seat belt is what broke my left shoulder blade. So yes, I was wearing it.

    And here, junk food's cheaper than fruit. I hate it. But I guess we have to do what we have to do, even if that means we spend more on food. And thank goodness that pre-made foods aren't more expensive! I'm NOT a great cook! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Imagine if you hadn't been wearing the seatbelt. Even though it broke your shoulder it must have slowed you down a bit.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amber, where are you? Are you busy writing?

    I hope you are keeping well :-)

    ReplyDelete