Monday, March 27, 2006

I found my real father!

I thought I found him, His name, age, possible relatives all add up. I've always known I had a half-sister named Melissa Sue, who would be 23 now. And Melissa's mother's name is Edith. These are the possible relatives listed.

So I went to www.whitepages.com to look the name and city up. I found it. I had NO IDEA what to do next.

I talked to Alan and he told me I don't have anything to lose, so I should go for it.

So I did. I was shaking so bad when I called. He sounded happy but cautious when I told him who I was. After all, he didn't know what I'd been told about him. I now know that my mom lied to me about one point. No, I'm not taking a basic stranger's word over hers, but he had details that he couldn't have known if he was lying about it. When I was 6 or 7, my mom married a man named Ricky. My bio-dad came back from Korea and met with her. Even though I was with them, I was never told who he was. So, I didn't know I was having lunch and being shy and afraid of my father. As far as I was concerned, he was a stranger and I had been told horror stories to keep me away from strangers. He told me that at the time, she told him it would be better for me if I thought of my almost-stepfather as my father. Which makes sense that she'd say that after all the talking she did about letting Ricky legally adopt me. He never did, so it was really beside the point.

I knew I had one half-sister, who's 2 years younger than I am. I found out that I have another half-sister, who's 18. Melissa is 23 and Kimberly's 18. And not only that, but they've always known that they had an older sister. He could just never answer their questions about me, so they eventually stopped asking. He did promise them that if I decided to contact him, he would let them know.

I talked to him for almost 3 hours. It's nice to know that I inherited some of my features and it's also nice to know where some of my 'foreign' mannerisms come from. I gave him my site so he could see pictures of his grandchildren. Alan and I will talk before I mention him to them though. Oh! And he asked me what I did for fun and I mentioned the fanfic that I (used) to write. HE ACTUALLY KNOWS WHO TRIXIE IS! His wife (I guess my stepmother and my sisters' mother) is a Trixie fan! What a small world!

I am so freaked out! I always figured he didn't want anything to do with me. (But at least if he'd said that, I wouldn't have to wonder anymore.) But now it turns out that my mom may have made the decision. He also said he didn't know that he COULD have gone through Mema and G-daddy to see me. Unless they lied too. There are many questions I still have, but right now, I'm just happy (and freaked) that I talked to him. And before we said bye, he told me that it was NEVER because he wasn't interested. During most of my childhood, he was stationed in Korea. Only in the states basically long enough to see his wife, Melissa, and help make Kimberly.

Oh, and my grandmother on that side died about 3 years ago. I swear, my bio-dad sounded all choked up when I told him I still had the blanket she made me when I was a baby. When I told him it was now his grandson's favorite blankie, he actually cried a bit.

Thanks for all the support I've found here! And I'm very happy that I don't have to have any regrets, and I'm happy he never forgot me.AND he said he'd call me back on Wednesday when I had time for the shock to wear off and he did too. Then we can talk, not just babble like idiots. LOL I now know where my weird sarcastic sense of humor came too.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations Amber. I did a little happy dance when I read this post early this morning. I've had to wait all day to comment.

    I'm so glad you did this at such I young age. I didn't contact my bio father until I was 34. I'd had a lot of misconceptions and misinformation through out my life. I carried a lot of hurt and anger. I was often depressed and lashed out at G when really I was sad and angry about my bio father.

    I found Aunts and cousins that I never knew about and a half brother who was adopted out at birth (at the moment he doesn't want any contact but I live in hope) I also got to tell my bio father how disappointed I was with him and the choices he'd made. We've corresponded by letter and email for the last 9 years, he reads my blog and keeps up with what's happening with us.

    With the kids, I told S all about it but won't tell the boys until they are old enough to understand. My step dad is the only grandpa they've ever known. Also my stepdad and my Mum have never told people that he's not my bio father so it makes them scared that the grandkids will blab their secret.

    My bio father will never be my Dad but he is now a friend that I care for deeply. It's a great opportunity to get to know more about your father and yourself. I had to remind myself that he made choices as a young man with no idea of how they would impact on our lives. Once I accepted that, it opened the door to understanding and friendship.

    I really hope this all works out well for you. I always felt like half a person, there was so much missing in my history. I couldn't fill in medical history etc because I didn't know what illnesses were on my father's side. Now I know :-) I do still get down but I no longer think that killing myself is the only way forward and I no longer carry anger and hurt with me.

    All the best to you Amber, It's nice to see you happy and excited. Hopefully the other parts of your life will fall into place too.

    Take care
    (sorry to hijack your comments..... again)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilly, you never hijack...you have my blessing.

    And so far, it's working out great. Thanks for the good thoughts.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete